“I received free samples of Sabra Spreads! mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
In need of a quick lunch idea but bored with the same old sandwich? Try this Grilled Chicken Apple Cheddar Sandwich. Quick, tasty, and lower in fat with the use of Sabra’s new Honey Mustard Hummus Spread!
Your favorite sandwich is about to get a healthy makeover with Sabra’s new hummus spreads. These new squeezable bottles make topping your sandwich easy and convenient. For a healthy twist each tablespoon of hummus spread has 75% less fat than mayo. They currently come in three different flavors Honey Mustard, Garlic Herb, and Sea Salt, and Cracked Pepper. All made with fresh ingredients and packed with flavor!
My favorite of them all was the Honey Mustard, maybe because I am a mustard fan and it goes so well with one of my favorites falls sandwiches Grilled Apple and Cheddar! To bump up the protein I added leftover shredded chicken, but you could easily leave this out for a vegetarian-friendly version.
The honey mustard hummus brings a fresh punch of flavor to this sandwich while really making the cheddar flavor stand out. I used it inside the sandwich and on the outside instead of butter. I was impressed at how well the spread crisped up the outside of the bread. I will definitely be using hummus spread on the outside of my grilled cheese from now on!
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 ounces shredded chicken
- 1-ounce cheddar cheese, cut into thin pieces
- ¼ cup apple slices
- 8 Mixed green lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons Sabra Honey Mustard Hummus Spread, divided
- On one slice of bread, spread on 1 tablespoon of Sabra Honey Mustard Hummus spread. Top with apple slices, chicken, cheese, greens, and top with another slice of wheat bread.
- Evenly spread ½ tablespoon of honey mustard hummus on the outside of the top piece of wheat bread.
- In a skillet on medium heat flip the sandwich down on the side with honey mustard hummus spread. Evenly spread remaining ½ tablespoon of honey mustard spread on the top piece of wheat bread. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown then flip the sandwich over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the other side is golden brown.
- Slice in half and enjoy!